Portfolio Category: Institutional

Wilmette Historical Museum

The Gross Point Village Hall, built in 1896, is one of the last surviving nineteenth century governmental buildings in the North Shore area of Metropolitan Chicago. The first floor housed the Village Clerk’s offices, police station, and a single-bay fire station. Four jail cells were located in the basement, and the second floor contained a…
Read more

Altgeld Hall

Altgeld Hall, the first building constructed at Northern Illinois University, was designed by Architect Charles E. Brusk and completed in 1898. Throughout its 100-year plus life it has served as a dormitory, classrooms, auditorium, library and offices. HPZS provided an in-depth examination of the structure followed by the development of a program to rectify building…
Read more

UIC MAXWELL / HALSTED STREET REDEVELOPMENT

The UIC Maxwell/Halsted project is a $29,000,000 mixed-use redevelopment of an area of the City of Chicago that is rich with history and is now part of the University of Illinois at Chicago South Campus. For the project, HPZS refurbished two existing buildings which were reused as part of a new commercial district with University…
Read more