The Gross Point Village Hall, built in 1896, is one of the last surviving nineteenth century governmental buildings in the North Shore area of Metropolitan Chicago. The first floor housed the Village Clerk’s offices, police station, and a single-bay fire station. Four jail cells were located in the basement, and the second floor contained a single ballroom space. After Gross Point was annexed to Wilmette in the 1920s, the Village Hall was sold to private owners. 1n 1990, the building was purchased by the Village of Wilmette, and in 1991 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
HPZS was approached by the Museum Board to prepare a feasibility study to determine the viability of converting the building into a Museum to replace its existing facility located in a former public school. HPZS then prepared construction documents for the building exterior restoration and the interior adaptive reuse scopes. The plans provided for permanent and flexible exhibit space, public meeting rooms, public amenities, and administrative facilities. MEP systems were replaced, structural and masonry repairs were implemented, and fire and accessibility code deficiencies were addressed. The resulting design reflects the history of the Wilmette community while providing a new and improved home for the Historical Museum.