Designed by the chief architect of Chicago Public Schools, Dwight H. Perkins, the Trumbull School opened in the fall of 1909 and was considered a new prototype in public school design, including bathrooms on every floor no basement, and organized around a large spacious auditorium. Designed to accommodate growth via the addition of one or two wings, a 10-room wing was added in 1913. The exterior, comprised of brick, terra cotta and stone, convey a bold horizontality. The project study featured an on-site daycare, a senior living building, community space, luxury condominiums and a pocket park, to increase the density of the site and provide and promote a walkable, sustainable living lifestyle.
HPZS was retained to develop a vision for the building and site, The Hub@Trumbull, for presentation to at a community meeting. The Vision included a Sustainable Multi-generational, Active Living Center with a focus to:
- Preserve the Auditorium and historic facades
- Restore and enhance the residential fabric
- Provide community assets and beautification
- Create economic opportunities
- Integrate 21st Century Live/Work spaces