The George Clayson House was built in 1873. After a series of owners, it was acquired in 1976 by the Palatine Public Library, the Palatine Park District, and the Palatine Historical Society. The Historical Society entered into an agreement to restore the house and operate it as a museum.
HPZS was engaged as the restoration architect. Through the years, a number of major alterations had been made to the structure, and extensive research and on-site investigation were required to determine its original form. Detailed plans and specifications were prepared for the restoration of the house to its 1890-1900 appearance.
Concurrent with the restoration, HPZS prepared a National Register of Historic Places nomination for the house that was approved. Upon completion of the project, the Historical Society furnished the house with period pieces and the building has been operated as a public museum and library since that time.