The Dearborn Street Station, designed by Cyrus L.W. Eidlitz in 1883, was completed in May of 1885. The Romanesque Revival structure is a Chicago Landmark, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and is the only surviving nineteenth-century railroad station in Chicago. The three-story building’s exterior walls and twelve-story clock tower were composed of pink granite and red pressed brick topped by a number of steeply-pitched roofs. Abandoned since 1976, the station occupied an important site in the redeveloping Printers’ Row area, and was in serious danger of collapse when it was acquired by its present owners.
The scope of this project involved restoration and adaptive reuse of the existing building and construction of an additional 60,000 sq. ft., designed to create a combined office retail building of 130,000 square feet. HPZS’ design responsibilities included extensive exterior masonry and metal cleaning and repair, rehabilitation and restoration of significant spaces in the existing structure, and coordination of mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and fire protection systems for the entire project. Specific elements included were roofing, window replacement, clock restoration, and extensive millwork design such as entrances, windows, doors, and interior trim.
HPZS was awarded the Excellence in Historic Preservation Award by the Chicago Bar Association for this preservation project.