The First United Methodist Church Chicago Temple was founded in 1831. The present structure, designed by Holabird and Roche, is one of Chicago’s most prominent buildings and contains a large church, offices, meeting spaces, a residence, storefront retail spaces, sixteen floors of commercial office space, a theatre and a “sky chapel." It was completed in 1924 and is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the tallest church in the world, with a spire reaching 568 feet above ground level. It is also the oldest church in Chicago.
Because the building was in need of significant upgrades to bring it into compliance with contemporary building codes and to provide amenities similar to those offered by other first class office buildings, HPZS was retained to develop a multi-year master plan and budget. Completed work resulting from the 27+ million dollar plan includes: the restoration and cleaning of the limestone exterior and lighted spire, a life safety study and improvement plan, structural restoration of the vaulted sidewalk, installation of new granite sidewalk, exterior wall repairs, remodeling of the parsonage, new building lobby directory and security station, elevator upgrades, new energy ventilation, public corridor improvements, new sprinkler system and new communication systems.